Master TreeGrower Course
As a follow-on from the Farm Forestry Field Day at Kanumbra in May 2021, MCN and the Home Creek - Spring Creek Landcare Group decided to organise a (MTG) course in the Upper Goulburn region for March/May 2022.
The MTG consists of 8 days (approx 50 hours spread over 2 months) for 25-30 participants (landowners, farmers, contractors and young professionals in forestry sector). Each course day includes expert presentations and visits to one or more agroforestry sites to demonstrate course topics, including:
- agroforestry for conservation and profit;
- markets for tree and forest products and services including bushfoods, fodder, essential oils;
- demand and supply trends for different timber products, prices, trading mechanisms;
- product processes (incl. on-site and off-site milling);
- planning and legislative aspects of a tree farm;
- vegetation classification and species selection, establishment and silviculture, fire hazard reduction;
- optimising biodiversity values of farm forestry looking after old paddock trees, shelter belts,
beneficial insects and predator birds, environmentally friendly weed and pest control);
- measuring carbon sequestration, opportunities for selling Australian Carbon Credit Units
from farm trees under the Emissions Reduction Fund and on secondary markets.
All topics are presented by specialists reflecting state of the art practice and latest research. Participants receive practical hands-on experience from multiple site visits, documentation on each topic along with some advice on their own agroforestry plans.
Further details of the course, and a call for Expressions of Interest from participants, are shown below: